Amendments made in the few Indian Standards of Footwear Sector – Notifications / clarifications issued by BIS
No. CLE-HO/ PTLM / BIS / 2023-24
12th July 2023
To: Members of the Council
Dear Sirs / Madam,
Sub: Amendments made in the few Indian Standards of Footwear Sector – Notifications / clarifications issued by BIS
This is regarding the implementation of Quality Control Orders (QCOs) in the footwear sector which is effective from 01.07.2023 as per the Orders dated: 03.06.2022 issued by the Department for Promotion of Industry & Internal Trade (DPIIT), Ministry of Commerce & Industry, Govt. of India.
In this regard, we wish to inform that Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) has made amendments to a few Indian Standards as detailed below:
||Existing Indian Standards
||Date of Withdrawal of this Standard was:
||Date of Withdrawal of this Standard has now been extended till:
||Revised Indian Standards
||Date of Establishment of this standard
|1||IS 6721: 1972
Specification for PVC Sandal
|09.09.2023||31.12.2023||IS 6721: 2023
Sandal and Slippers – Specification
|2||IS 11544: 1986
Specification for Slipper, Rubber
|3||IS 10702: 1992
Rubber Hawaii Chappal – Specification
|01.09.2023||31.12.2023||IS 10702: 2023
Hawaii Chappal – Specification
|4||IS 15844: 2010
Sports Footwear – Specification
|13.12.2023||31.12.2023||IS 15844 (Part 1): 2023
Part 1 General Purpose
|IS 15844 (Part 2): 2023
Part 2 Performance Sports Footwear
The following are the explanations for the above amendments and validity periods of above four existing Indian Standards:
- The standard for Rubber Hawaii Chappal has been amended from IS 10702: 1992 to IS 10702: 2023. The new standard was established on 01.06.2023. The word in the title ‘rubber’ has been omitted in the amended Indian Standard. The old standard has been earlier given time till 01.09.2023 and the Government of India has now extended its validity date till 31.12.2023.
- The standard for PVC Sandal (IS 6721: 1972) and Standard for Slipper, Rubber (IS 11544: 1986) have been merged and a new standard for Sandal & Slippers (IS 6721: 2023) was established on 09.06.2023. The old standards have been earlier given time till 09.09.2023 and the Government of India has now extended the validity date till 31.12.2023.
- The standard for Sports Footwear (IS 15844: 2010) has been amended and 3 separate standards have been formulated, namely Sports Footwear (General Purpose) IS 15844 (Part 1): 2023, Sports Footwear (Performance Sports Footwear) IS 15844 (Part 2): 2023. The old standard has been given time earlier till 13.12.2023, which has now been extended till 31.12.2023. Please note that the 3rd standard is for Sports Footwear (Professional Sports Footwear) which is currently under revision by BIS.
The following Notifications / Clarifications issued by the BIS is attached herewith for perusal:
· Reference: CMD-2/G-94 Dated: 10.07.2023 (Extension of time till 31.12.2023 for the Indian Standards revised recently).
· Reference: CMD-2/G-94 Dated: 10.07.2023 (Clarification regarding Derby Shoes IS 17043: 2018. It is clarified that QCO shall not apply to Derby Shoes for civilian use as of now).
· Reference: HQ-PUB013/1/2020-PUB-BIS (615) dated:05.06.2023
· Reference: HQ-PUB013/1/2020-PUB-BIS (620) dated:12.06.2023
· Reference: HQ-PUB012/1/2020-PUB-BIS (618) dated:13.06.2023
· Corrigendum – Reference HQ-PUB-BIS (644) dated: 05.07.2023.
Members may kindly take note of the above updates in the matter.
With warm regards,
R. SELVAM, IAS
Council for Leather Exports