Import of Textile and Textile Articles – Relaxation by DGFT – reg.
June 17, 2016
Members of the Council
Sub : Import of Textile and Textile Articles – Relaxation by DGFT – reg.
As members are kindly aware, Para 10 of General Notes of ITC (HS) Classification states the following with regard to import of Textile and Textile Articles.
· Textile and textile articles containing hazardous dyes: Import of textile and textile articles is permitted subject to the condition that they shall not contain any of the hazardous dyes whose handling, production, carriage or use is prohibited by the Government of India under the provisions of clause (d) of subsection (2) of Section 6 of the Environment (Protection) Act, 1986 (29 of 1986) read with the relevant rule(s) framed thereunder. For this purpose, the import consignments shall be accompanied by a pre-shipment certificate from a textile testing laboratory accredited to the National Accreditation Agency of the Country of Origin.
· In cases where such certificates are not available, the consignment will be cleared after getting a sample of the imported consignment tested & certified from any of the notified agencies.
Vide Public Notice No.32/2015-2020 dated 04.09.2015 read with DGFT Notification No. 19/2015-20 dated 4th Sept. 2015 (copies enclosed), DGFT has stated that testing of textiles and textile articles for presence of AZO Dyes will not be required for imports originating from the following countries:
1) European Union (EU) Countries
The DGFT has now issued Public Notice No:10/2015-2020 dated 18th May 2016 (copy enclosed) stating that in addition to the above countries, testing of textiles and textile articles for presence of AZO Dyes will not be required for imports originating from the following countries also:
8) Japan; and
9) South Korea
Members may please note the above.
However, CLE has also been issuing Textile Certificate upon request by members/as per requirement of Customs, in accordance with the DGFT Policy Circular No.5 dt.29.5.2003 (copy enclosed), as per which Council for Leather Exports (CLE) has been nominated as a “Certifying Agency” to issue Certificates to its members for clearance of import of textile and textile articles by the manufacturer-exporters of leather products, subject to the following conditions stipulated in the aforesaid DGFT Policy Circular.
1. Council members have a valid RCMC on the date of issue
2. Importers are registered with the Council as manufacturer exporters in terms of Exim Policy Provisions.
3. Items of imports are meant for manufacture of export products only and cannot be sold/transferred to units in DTA.
The aforesaid TEXTILE CERTIFICATES of CLE are issued to manufacturer exporters of leather products, footwear, leather garments etc., registered with Council to facilitate clearance of import consignments of textile and textile articles used as inputs in manufacturing of export products, upon submission of affidavit. For this purpose a fee of Rs.500 + applicable Service tax is being charged with effect from 1st April 2012.
Thanks and regards
R. Ramesh Kumar
COUNCIL FOR LEATHER EXPORTS